ReadyWise Emergency Dehydrated Foods
ReadyWise produces emergency food kits for camping, road trips and backup supplies at home. They make long-lasting shelf-stable food that is affordable and tastes good, too! They use dehydrated and freeze-dried foods to preserve food shape, flavor and nutritional value.
Each meal requires only one cup of water, so they are convenient for any situation. Any water temperature works, although boiling water is better. The survival kits make it easy for our family to take stress-free trips and have the security of knowing we have emergency food at home.
What ReadyWise Offers Us
• Since the products are designed for people on long trips or who need a long shelf-life, the foods are either freeze-dried or dehydrated and can last for 25 years. We can just add water for a ready-to-go meal!
• We need a lot of nutrition to help with endurance when we go on long trips, and these foods contain high-quality ingredients and are made in the U.S.
• It can be hard to know how much food we’ll need, so ReadyWise offers a food quantity calculator to provide an estimate of how much we should buy.
• We need different amounts of food depending on whether we’re stocking up for potential natural disasters, taking an extended backpacking trip or going camping for a weekend. We can select a package for anywhere between 3 days and a year depending on what we need that day!
• We like to have more than just food in case of an emergency, so we use ReadyWise’s specific survival kits for different situations including camping, hurricane planning and road trips.
• They also have a generalized all-purpose survival backpack for less specific situations.
• ReadyWise gives us a lot of food options, which is great for catering to the whole family’s tastes! Options include chili, meat, rice, vegetables, fruits, breakfast kits, milk and eggs. They even have gluten free, vegetarian and vegan options!
• Since we aren’t always sure what we’ll like, we appreciate the ability to order samples.
• Long trips can be expensive as it is, so ReadyWise provides lightweight bulk options that won’t take up too much room in the suitcase or break the bank.
• Package sizes are flexible to accommodate how many of us are going on a trip and how long we need food for.
• Bundles can cost as little as $1 per serving, making it easier for our family to travel on a budget.
• The products have a shelf life of 25 years, so they work for emergency preparation and we never need to worry about leftovers going to waste!
• With high-quality ingredients, we can get the nutrition we need while actually enjoying the meals!
• Since there are so many different kinds of packages available, we aren’t bored by eating the same thing every day. Some of the packages even include sweets, which my whole family appreciates!
• The packaging is designed for our safety, with a very low oxygen percentage and moisture penetration rate.
• The food does not contain allergens such as peanuts, tree nuts, fish or shellfish.
• The number of people served per package is based on a serving size, so we sometimes need to buy a little more food for family members with bigger appetites.
• We have trouble avoiding dairy and soy.
• It is best to store ReadyWise products in a cool, dry environment. We’ve had to work to find an appropriate space since we live in a humid climate and want to store the food for an extended time.
When we need emergency food or survival kits, ReadyWise has us covered. Their high-quality, safely packaged food bundles are ideal for any situation, whether we are preparing for an outdoor adventure, road trip or natural disaster.
We like to enjoy food, not stress about it. With prices hovering around $1 a meal and a 25-year shelf life, these food bundles always help us prepare for our next adventure!
What Makes Valley Food Storage a Great Option for Survivalists
When it comes to emergency food supplies, you don’t want to wait until after a disaster happens to start stocking up. The best time to start stocking up on supplies is now. You might not need it today, but if you lose power for a week after a tornado or have major supply routes cut off due to an earthquake, you’ll be glad that you have a stash of food in the basement that can feed your family for weeks or months to come.
The key to having a good stash of emergency food is stocking up on supplies that are still edible years after you purchased them. You don’t know when a disaster might strike, and if you’re not a survivalist, you might find yourself buying the food, dropping it in the basement, and forgetting about it. Imagine what would happen if you lost power after a hurricane and went downstairs to find your emergency food rations, only to find that they had all expired years ago. That’s where Valley Food Storage comes in.
Valley Food Storage offers a wide range of tasty, nutrient-dense meals that have a shelf life of up to 25 years. If you store your meals in a cool, dry place, you can open them a decade later and find that they’re just as edible as they were when you bought them. No more switching old meals and throwing away old food every few years. And better yet, you can buy a variety of meals and ingredients so you don’t find yourself eating the same thing every day.
- They offer a wide range of meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner so you don’t have to eat the same thing for days on end
- Their meals are made from real, fresh ingredients that are freeze-dried to preserve the nutrients
- They sell freeze-dried fruits, vegetables and proteins so you can get extra vitamins and minerals in your diet
- The food is all fully cooked: all you have to do is heat it up and serve
- The meals are specially prepared to retain as much of the flavor as possible
- Their products have a shelf life of 25 years if stored in ideal conditions
- The meals are sealed in airtight bags that are safe and durable and come with an oxygen absorber
- Long Term Food Kits are packaged in durable, resuable buckets
Anyone who’s dabbled in survivalism knows that emergency food isn’t exactly known for its flavor. In fact, emergency food supplies have gained a reputation as being tough, chewy, flavorless and utterly unenjoyable. Fortunately, they have developed a range of emergency food that’s just as tasty as a home-cooked meal. Their meals are made from real ingredients that are cooked in their facilities and freeze-dried and packaged to give them the longest possible shelf life.
When you think of emergency food rations, you might think of either a flavorless, calorie-dense ration bar, or a package of dry spaghetti that tastes like cardboard when you eat it. In the past, there weren’t many options on the market, and you could find yourself eating the same five meals for weeks or more. Valley Food Storage offers multiple meal options so you can have a different dish every day of the week.
Their breakfast options include oatmeal, cream of wheat, and cereal. For lunch and dinner, you can enjoy chili, tomato basil soup, Italian risotto, cheddar potato soup, and more. Sound like dishes you’d find at a restaurant, right? You can also supplement your meals or make your own dishes with freeze-dried vegetables, eggs, milk and proteins.
How do you prepare the meals?
Preparing these meals is fairly simple: just bring some water to a boil and heat up the food in the pot. Their meals are fully cooked, so you don’t have to worry about actually ingesting raw ingredients. You can even eat their meals cold if you don’t have another option.
How long do the meals last?
If stored properly, these meals have a shelf life of up to 25 years. To make your products last as long as possible, store your food in a cool, dry environment with a moderate temperature. Emergency food supplies can go bad if they’re exposed to extreme heat or excessive cold. You should also make sure that the food stays sealed until it’s ready to be eaten–contaminants can creep in if the package is opened or damaged.
What makes these meals last so long?
These meals last so long because they’re fully cooked, freeze-dried, and packaged in airtight Mylar bags that allow no water or oxygen to seep inside. Each bag also contains an oxygen absorber that absorbs any oxygen that might remain in the bag after packaging. Water and oxygen are necessary for mold and bacteria to form, which causes food spoilage. When none of these factors are present, your food can be stored for years and still be edible.
The meals are also unique in that they come in resealable bags, so you don’t have to eat all the servings at once. The oxygen absorber even continues to work after you’ve opened and resealed the bag. Just make sure you eat the food soon after opening it.
How can I get some extra vitamins in my diet?
They also sell a wide range of freeze-dried fruits and vegetables to supplement your diet. You can add them to your meals, prepare them as side dishes, or enjoy them as healthy snacks. To get more protein in your diet, you can take advantage of their powdered eggs, milk and peanut butter, as well as their freeze-dried meat crumbles. They even sell freeze-dried cheddar cheese you can sprinkle over your soups and pasta.
Are these meals suitable for vegetarians?
While some of their meals contain meat, they also offer plenty of vegetarian-friendly meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also have options for soy free, dairy free, and gluten free diets. Even if you’re in an emergency situation, you’ll want to avoid eating foods that could trigger an allergic reaction. If anything, avoiding allergens becomes even more important when a doctor isn’t readily available.
What about drinks?
While they don’t currently sell drinks, they do offer 30- and 55-gallon water barrels, so you can be prepared when disaster strikes. Water is even more important for human survival than food, and can be used for drinking, cooking, cleaning and bathing. Every survivalist should have several months’ worth of water in their stash.
What situation is ideal for these meals?
These meals are best for emergency situations, as they can be eaten at any time and don’t require refrigeration. You can also bring these meals along on camping and hiking trips and heat them up over the campfire. They do well in just about any situation–just make sure they’re not exposed to extreme temperatures for long periods of time.
Pros and Cons
- They offer a wide range of options, so you won’t get stuck eating the same meal for weeks on end.
- They have options for different dietary needs, including soy free, dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian.
- You can supplement your meals with freeze-dried meat cubes, fruits and vegetables that are also sold by the company.
- You can also buy raw ingredients like powdered milk, eggs and peanut butter.
- Their products have a whopping 25-year shelf life.
- Their meals come in resealable bags, so you don’t have to eat the entire portion at once.
- Their kits are packaged in strong, durable buckets that can be stacked and reused.
- Their food is packaged in airtight Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers to prevent the growth of mold and bacteria.
- If you have certain dietary needs, your options will be slightly limited.
- Their individual food packages tend to sell out quickly.
Overall, Valley Food Storage is a great choice for anyone who wants to stock up on emergency meals that actually taste like real food, and have a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals to boot. They go well beyond the usual spaghetti and pasta alfredo and offers unique, restaurant-quality dishes that can’t be found anywhere else. Taste isn’t necessarily your biggest priority when it comes to emergency supplies, but if the food tastes decent, you’ll be able to look forward to meal times instead of dreading it.
These products are safe, durable and built to last for a quarter of a century. Whether it’s a minor emergency like the power being knocked out after a storm, or a major disaster like war breaking out on U.S. soil, Valley Food Storage has the products you need to stay alive and be prepared in a variety of situations. They last for years if they’re stored in good conditions, so buy a few buckets and stash them in your closet or basement.
Mother Earth Products Food Review 2020
Mother Earth Products was created to help people focus more on a healthy diet and lifestyle by creating dehydrated and freeze dried foods. These products are perfect for many things such as businesses that are trying to change their food focuses, individuals that truly enjoy a healthy life style, and even survivalist. A lot of these foods can be purchased in mylar packaging, which is a resealable bag that can be closed up simply by using a clothing iron. You can find everything all the way down to the staples that you use in the kitchen and the best part is Mother Earth Products has their own personal chef.
There are a wide variety of collections that you will find on the Mother Earth website from survival items to basic home items. There are even protein items made from vegetables. Other collections available include:
- Items for the great outdoors
- Chef Inspired Selections
- Essentials for Cooking
- Dried Vegetables
- Emergency Items
- Main Entree Items
- Supplies for proper food storage
- Freeze Dried Vegetables
- Freeze Dried Fruits
- Herbs and Spices
- Organic Items
- Soup Mixes
- Antioxidant Packed Foods
There are many reasons to invest in foods like these. One very good reason would be to be prepared for disasters. We never know when the next one will strike and having dehydrated or freeze dried on hand when there is a possibility that your other food could be spoiled is a necessity. Fresh foods do not last long and most things only have a shelf life of a few days without being frozen. When you hear dehydrated foods the best of the best probably does not pop into your head, but Mother Earth foods has some pretty tempting items. Some of these items are things you would never expect to find including textured vegetable meats. These include:
- bacon bits
- beef bits
- chicken bit
- ham bits
- sausage bits
- unflavored protein
The above list is perfect for handy foods but also a great choice for vegans and vegetarians who are looking for an alternative to what they have as options. These foods are all kosher and naturally made without preservatives or additives. You will never find any GMO products and you will truly enjoy the flavor. If you cannot get behind the plant based meats, then try the fruits and vegetables that are available. The selection may not be like what you will find at the grocery store, but you will definitely find a nice list of items like:
- bell peppers
- green beans
- sweet potatoes
You are probably thinking that you can find a lot of these items already dehydrated and packaged at a local grocery store, right? You may be correct but is the quality available? Also, the packaging may not be suitable for long storage times unlike a lot of the items that you will find with this company.
Another great feature about Mother Earth is their recipe page. There you will find plenty of amazing ideas that you can create with your newly purchased products. Drinks, snacks, food ideas for kids…all of these are available for you to check out. They even have barbecue options available. One of my favorite ideas are smoothies of course. You can never go wrong with a good fruity drink. Another amazing recipe category to look up on the website would be deserts because who wants dinner without a good sweet treat? Are you one that enjoys some great comfort food? They even have a genre for that as well as easy to make meals that you can do with your children. Teaching them healthy skills at a young age can ensure their great habits in the future. Last but not least, try one of their great tasting soup recipes. Since they have dried soup mix options why not try and experiment with them. Try adding in some of the extra tasty meat bits for extra pizazz.
It all sounds so amazing and experimenting with your food a little is always a great way to find out what you do and don’t like as well as what you can and can’t make. Their website is a great resource for those who are new at trying these types of foods and for those who are not. Between the available food products to the utensils for sale, you will find everything you need in order to survive on this type of diet. Healthy living begins with you and your choices. Weighing out the pros and cons can be tricky when choosing the right company to get your long term foods from.
We have mentioned so many great things about this company but one thing that stood out to me were the serving amounts and prices for them. Compared to some very similar companies in the field, there could be some better competition. This company does lack the variety of foods that I have seen with others and I mean by quite a bit, but this seems to be a fairly small company needing more time to expand and improve. Let’s see what happens with them in the coming years.
Backpacker’s Pantry Freeze Dried Meals Review
In business since 1971, Backpacker’s Pantry and its parent company American Outdoor Products sells freeze-dried food meals. Their meals are perfect for all outdoor enthusiasts including backpackers. In 2017, The US Ski Team asked the company to provide food for them during their trips to foreign countries.
Just like their customers, this Boulder, Colorado company also loves the outdoors. They support many environmental causes like Leave No Trace, SOIL, Conservation Alliance, 1% For the Planet, Access Fund, and others. They are a leader in innovative agriculture and renewable energy.
Not only is their dehydrated food perfect for outdoor lovers, but also in emergency situations like hurricanes and other disasters. In 2017, they donated over 3,000 pounds of their food to Houston and Puerto Rico after devastating hurricanes.
Meal Types and Nutrition
Their backpacking food packets are small enough to easily carry enough food with you. Most of their food packets weight between 6-7 ounces, about as thick as a deck of cards, and measure 10 inches by 8 inches.
Their meals usually contain 2 servings, and have plenty of calories and protein to keep you going through the day. A few of their freeze-dried meals and their nutrients per serving include:
- Fettuccini Alfredo and Chicken: 360 calories and 22 grams of protein
- Three Mac and Cheese: 430 calories and 20 grams of protein
- Pad Thai with Chicken: 420 calories and 23 grams of protein
- Lasagna: 340 calories and 19 grams of protein
- Rocky Mountain Scramble: 290 calories and 19 grams of protein
In addition to their entrée meals, they also carry breakfast and desserts. You can also choose from their special diet meals like:
- Tree nut free
- Soy free
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Peanut free
Dehydrated food is easy to take along for any type of outdoor activities. They are lightweight, easy to prepare, can be eaten out of the packet, good tasting, and easy to clean up. The only minor negative would be that they need boiling water to prepare.
To make eating out of the packets easier, take along extra long forks or spoons. Or you can cut and roll down the packets for easier access to the food.
Even though most of their packages say 2 servings per packet, many of us have found that eating one packet made a good and filling meal. The cooking instructions are clearly written including the proper amount of water to use and re-hydrating time for the elevation you’re at.
There are numerous things to like about BP’s dehydrated foods. They offer a wide choice of meals including meals for special diets like vegan, organic, dairy-free, and nut-free choices.
Their meals are tasty and easy to prepare. Each of their meals contains plenty of protein, carbohydrates, and calories to fuel your outdoor activities. The packets of food are lightweight, easy to carry, and easy to prepare.
The only minor disadvantage is that you need hot water to prepare the meals, and they take slightly more time than just opening a container and eating. In most outdoor situations, boiling water should not be a problem.
The Bottom Line
Backpacker’s Pantry sells good quality freeze-dried food that is perfect for backpacking, hiking, camping, and all other outdoor activities. Their meals are tasty, filling, and easy to prepare. Since their food packets are small and lightweight, it’s easy to carry enough food for however long you plan to be in the backcountry.
The company is also actively involved in the health of the planet with a strong commitment to environmental sustainability. They have been in the business of freeze-dried food long enough to know just what backpackers need and want in the outdoors.
Are you a true survivalist? Do you enjoy camping, hiking or just being in the great outdoors? If you enjoy any kind of recreational event or just take everyday serious then you know that there is a list of items that you should always have on hand. Any day can become a day of survival which means if you are not prepared for the worst, then expect the worst. My Patriot Supply food storage has just what you need to add to your arsenal of supplies whether you are prepping for a natural disaster or plan to spend some time in the wild!
My Patriot Supply was created by people just like you. They have a passion for surviving and have worked hard to ensure that they can share their creations with the world.They focus on everything such as:
- emergency survival food kits
- water filtration
- survival items
- air purification
If you are approved, there is even an amazing offer to buy now and pay later. This feature includes a $0 down payment, 0% APR, and My Patriot Supply usually approves up to 90% of their customers.
Emergency Survival Food Kits
There is a list of emergency food items to look into depending on your needs. Storage time is something to always consider when ordering your food packs. The products available for long term storage have a 25 year shelf life. Each emergency kit differs from one another. Some are calorie based and others go by the serving amount. The prices vary between each pack so you must think about what you need and when you plan to use them. The long term packs have a supply range of three months to one year and include:
- 3 month emergency food supply – 2000 cal. per day
- 6 month emergency food supply – 2000 cal. per day
- 1 year emergency food supply – 2000 cal. per day
- Franklin’s Finest survival coffee – 720 servings per bucket
- Ready Hour survival shot – 180 shots per bucket
- Mega Protein kit w/real meat – 88 servings per bucket
- fruit, veggie & snack mix – 116 servings
- Ultimate Breakfast kit – 140 servings
- beans & rice kit – 100 servings
- Ultimate Preparedness kit
Keep in mind that the long term kits can range in prices from under $100 all the way up to almost $1500.
If you are searching for something that is a little more budget friendly, then you can consider the short term storage options which are dramatically lower in cost, ranging from under $10 to less than $200. They also have less supplies and the serving amounts range from three days to one month. The good news is these packs also have a storage life of up to 25 years and include:
- 1 Week Food supply ammo can – 1500 cal. per day
- 72 Hour Kit sample pack – 16 servings
- 4 Week Emergency food supply – 2000 cal. per day (30 day supply)
- 2 Week Emergency food supply – 1500 cal. per day
- Datrex Emergency food bars – 2400 calorie per bar
- Ready Hour survival shot – 180 shot
- Franklin’s Finest coffee – 60 serving sample pouch
- Preparedness Crate for emergencies – 61 items
Another great option to add to your survival food supply would be the #10 bulk can food items. You can fill your cabinets with the bad boys and if properly stored, they can last between 25-30 years. These are perfect to slowly collect over time if your on a tight budget. Single cans, which can feed up to 35 people, can range anywhere from $10 to about $40 depending on the type of food. Some of these food options include:
- breakfast items
- meal sides
- energy drinks
- vegetarian options
Along with your collection of food packs should be an array of survival items that every person should have stocked. The number one item is a can opener of course. My patriot Supply offers everything a survivalist would need in their packs such as multi tools for eating, fire starters, and even hand cranked items (which are better than battery powered and sometimes solar powered items).
The next most important type of pack to have on you would be anything and everything you need to make sure you have consumable water. A human can only go about 3-4 days without drinking water so having a filter, water treatment, and a clean container on hand would be the perfect essentials.
Never forget about first aid either. Having the proper treatments for things such as snake bites, bug bites or stings, and even a knife slice would help save you from the inevitable. Also, think about what type of weather you can come across. These amazing survivalist have literally thought of everything and have a huge selection of items that can keep you safe from so many elements.
Pros and Cons
There are many companies that offer similar items that you will find when shopping with My Patriot Supply, but will you find the same quality? Will you find what you need in your budget? In most cases, you may find one or two things but when your shopping with a quality company like this one you will get more than just great items. You will receive the peace of mind that you have great food and products that truly last. Remember, you will also have the option to make payments on your orders and that may not be offered elsewhere. I do not think I have found another website yet that gives you that type of opportunity. I am not a prepper myself, but I do plan for disasters. After studying this website I could honestly say that what I saw was more than what I had seen through other companies. I also think the food looks amazing.
Unfortunately, these items sell fast, which can be the biggest con of them all. The most requested items may take a bit of time to return to stock as well, especially right now during this crazy time. That alone may make you want to go through another company but you may not receive the quality items that you expect.
All in all, you should take everyday seriously and prepare as if it could be your last. You never know what your time may bring and if you are always exploring the world, then you know to always be prepared for anything. I have seen many horrible incidents happen and most of these problems could have been completely avoided. When I lived in the Cleveland National Forest in California, I saw a rescue helicopter almost everyday. They were usually searching for missing hikers…some of which didn’t prepare for their trip properly and either ended up in ICU or were found dead. Most causes of these tragedies where due to lack of hydration and first aid. SO, don’t be these people…prepare!
Why Alpineaire is a Great Choice for Outdoor Adventures
When you go camping, you probably get tired of eating granola bars, beef jerky and trail mix all day. Nobody expects to be served restaurant-quality food in the middle of the forest, but after a long day of hiking, sometimes you feel like enjoying a hearty meal in front of the campfire. If you’re looking to try something new, Alpineaire offers freeze-dried meals, snacks and shakes that are specifically made with camping trips in mind. They’re fairly easy to prepare: simply bring a pot of water to boil, add the water to the pouch, wait for the food to re-hydrate, and enjoy.
Features of the Alpineaire freeze dried food line include:
- Wide variety of meals available, including vegetarian and vegan options
- Food is easy to prepare and can be made with hot or cold water
- Food can last up to five years or more if stored in cool, dry conditions
- The convenient packaging makes the food lightweight and easy to transport
- You can buy meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as snacks, shakes, dips and desserts
If you’re an avid camper or hiker, you’re probably no stranger to survival food. In the past, survival meals were known for being dry and chewy, with not much in the way of flavor. Using modern technology, Alpineaire has developed a whole range of meals that sound like something you’d order in a restaurant.
Sausage pasta, chicken curry and gumbo are on the menu, to name a few. You can also buy vegetarian and vegan options like beans and rice, three cheese lasagna, and meatless chili. They also sell soups, guacamole, freeze-dried fruit, bean dip, smoothies, and even a selection of desserts. You could enjoy a multi-course meal right in front of your campfire.
Pros and Cons
Pros of bringing Alpineaire along on your next hiking trip:
- Food requires no refrigeration, even the products that include meat and dairy
- You can enjoy a hearty meal without lugging around stew ingredients
- Meals have a shelf life of five years or more
- Easy to prepare and can be eaten hot or cold
- The brand has options for vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and cholesterol-free diets
Cons of using Alpineaire products:
- The food can go bad if it’s exposed to extreme temperatures
- Most products have a shelf life of only five years, so it’s not ideal for emergency supplies
The Bottom Line
Overall, Alpineaire is a great choice for your next big hiking trip. There’s plenty of meals to choose from, the food requires no refrigeration, and you can enjoy treats like fruit smoothies and guacamole. Their food is more geared toward outdoor adventures, so it’s not the best choice for survivalists–most of their food has a shelf life of only five years. But if you’re looking for a hot, hearty meal after a long day of backpacking, pack a few Alpineaire products in your hiking kit.
A Look Inside Peak Refuel Foods
Therefore, it’s a good thing that there are lightweight meals available from a number of different providers. For those looking for meals that are easy to pack into the backcountry, require less water to prepare than many of their competitors, and taste delicious, Peak Refuel may be exactly what is needed.
What They Offer
Compared to some other pre-prepared meals, the offerings emphasize quality over quantity, both in the number of meals that are available as well as what is present in each meal.
If you do enjoy rice or potatoes with your meals, then you’re in luck. From Asian-inspired rice dishes to a downright homey Beef Stroganoff, Peak wants to provide great taste. If you want someone that reminds you that you are in the backwoods, then it’s hard to beat a dinner like an Elk Ragu Pasta. More than a few of their customers think that doesn’t sound so bad on a weeknight.
What Are the Pros and Cons?
While Peak has created a great product, it isn’t for everyone. Here’s a list of the pros and cons of their meals, starting with the pros:
- They Are Delicious – It’s hard to ignore just how incredibly tasty these meals are. Peak has seemingly taken a list of every complaint about lightweight camping food and found a way to fix it. From sauces that are rich and not watery to proteins that actually taste like they were cooked in a kitchen, Peak has created the sort of meal experience that plenty of outdoors-minded people have been craving.
- They Are Full of Protein – Chances are that when you’re outdoors, you’re burning a lot more calories than usual. These meals have been created with that in mind. Each portion contains around 20 grams of protein, which is what many people aim to eat with each meal. Additionally, with each portion featuring around 400 calories, this coupled with an energy bar or fruit offers a well-rounded meal that will leave you full without making you feel sluggish.
- They Are Incredibly Lightweight – Even if you’re not hiking for hundreds of miles, added weight in a pack is never a good thing. Peak has cut the weight of their meals substantially.
- They Were Created with Backpackers in Mind – The pouches can be used to help carry food waste out, eliminating the chance of littering. The meals themselves require less water to prepare, and simply are topped off with water and left to warm for ten minutes. Everything about them was created with the goal of keeping your focus on nature, not the nuisance of cooking.
Still, there are some negatives.
- They Are Expensive – At around $6.50 per serving, these aren’t too bad of a purchase for someone who is looking to round out their food choices for a camping trip, but if you’re looking for a long-term food solution in the event of an emergency, these may not be your best option.
- Portions Can Be Small – Peak is a bit misleading about the portion size on the packaging. Each package claims to have more than 40 grams of protein, but that is per pouch. Each pouch is two servings, which can leave some a bit hungry, especially after a long day of outdoors activity. Rounded out with an energy bar, fruit, or smores (or all three), it’s not so bad. However, we can see how this would leave plenty of backwoods explorers hungry afterwards.
Peak has created some of the tastiest and lightest ready meals for outdoors enthusiasts to use. While they aren’t as versatile when it comes to other needs, like emergency preparedness, as other brands might be, they make up for this by seemingly being created for the backwoods explorer. From the water requirement to reheat the meal to the fact that everything just tastes amazing, it is clear that Peak is on to something with their Refuel line of meals.
Why You Should Add Legacy Food Storage Products to Your Emergency Stash
You might not need it now, but if you don’t have a stockpile of emergency food, you’ll be kicking yourself when disaster strikes. Whether it’s a common disaster like a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake or something more drastic like a global pandemic, it’s important to make survival food part of your emergency supply stash. Emergency food is specially prepared to last as long as possible and packed with valuable nutrients. And if you’re lucky, it might even taste good, too!
In the past, your emergency food supplies were limited to MREs or flavorless nutrient bars. Today, survival food companies offer a wide variety of meals, including breakfasts, main dishes, side dishes, drinks and more. You can even buy survival kits for your pets. Fruits, vegetables, rice, beans, pasta, oatmeal, pancakes, peanut butter powder: with the right brand, you’ll have everything you need to enjoy a variety of dishes until the lights come back on.
Of course, if you’re in a survival situation, taste isn’t going to be your biggest priority. But having a variety of different meals can give you a sense of normalcy in an unpredictable time, and make you feel like you’re eating real food instead of choking down a dry, calorie-dense product. Plus, it’ll make the process easier if you have young children at home. In this review of Legacy Food Storage, we’ll explore what makes this brand a valuable addition to your stash of emergency supplies.
The main features of Legacy emergency food supplies include:
- Wide variety of dishes, including breakfast, main dishes and side dishes, as well as drinks
- Only one cup of water is needed per serving to prepare the meals
- The meals are fully cooked and can be eaten hot or cold
- Airless packaging ensures that the food will last for years if stored in safe conditions
- Food is high in vitamins and low in trans fat, sodium, cholesterol, etc.
- Gluten-free options are available
- Food is shipped in large, sealed-off buckets for extra protection
When you’re in a survival situation, taste and variety isn’t necessarily going to be your biggest priority, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get tired of eating the same thing every day. One of the advantages of Legacy Food Storage is that it offers a wide range of meals. You can buy packages of breakfast meals that include pancakes, oatmeal and cream of wheat.
For lunch and dinner, you can enjoy entrees like chili, enchiladas and pasta alfredo, paired with side dishes like rice and refried beans. You can also buy freeze-dried cuts of meat like beef and chicken, as well as freeze-dried fruits and vegetables similar to the ones you’ve got in the freezer.
What’s the food quality like?
The taste is surprisingly decent. It’s not anything mind-blowing, but the meals are prepared to retain their taste and quality as much as possible. This is especially important if you’ve got kids in the house who are picky eaters even in survival situations.
You can also buy gluten-free meals if you’ve got people in the house with gluten allergies. A lot of survival food brands tend to forget about people with dietary restrictions, but just because you’re in a survival situation doesn’t mean your body can suddenly handle allergens.
These meals are also packed with vitamins and minerals, and have relatively low amounts of sodium and cholesterol, so you’re not overloading your body with fat and salt. You can buy freeze-dried meat, fruit and vegetables as well as the entrees and side dishes, so you’re still getting as much of a balanced diet as possible. While you might be in survival mode, you still want to take care of your body when you get the chance so you can stay healthy and keep a clear head.
How to prepare your meals?
In an emergency situation, you need to be able to prepare your meals as quickly and efficiently as possible. You can’t waste time waiting for the stove to heat up or use valuable fuel. To prepare a meal, all you have to do is pour water into a pot–they recommend using one cup of water per serving–and bring it to a boil, then add the food to the pot and you’re ready to go! Every meal is fully cooked, so all you have to do is heat it up. You can even eat their food cold if you don’t have access to heating equipment, although the taste and texture are vastly improved when the food is served hot.
How long do the meals last?
Legacy meals are guaranteed to last up to 25 years if they’re stored in safe, dry conditions. They might go bad if they’re exposed to extreme temperatures or contaminated with water. But if they’re kept in a cool, dry area, they can last for years to come. They specifically avoid using ingredients like meat (except in their freeze-dried meat selection) and oils that can break down and ruin the taste and texture over time. Each ingredient in their dishes is hand-selected for its ability to last for long periods of time.
Another advantage of their meals is that they require no refrigeration. Even foods that traditionally require refrigeration, like pasta or enchiladas, can be stored in a non-refrigerated space and be perfectly edible for years to come. You’ll have a stash of ready-to-eat meals that won’t go bad when the power goes out.
Why do the meals last so long?
These products have a long shelf life because of the way they’re packaged. After the food is prepared, it’s sealed in an oxygen-free Mylar bag that comes with an oxygen absorber. Air and water are required for contaminants like mold, mildew and bacteria to develop. If no air can get inside the pouch, your food can theoretically last indefinitely. The industry standard for most brands is less than 2% oxygen, but Legacy products have less than 1%. You can stick your food in the basement and forget about it.
How is the food packaged?
The meals are packaged in airtight Mylar bags, then placed into large plastic buckets with handles for easy storage and transport. The buckets are stackable, so you can have a neat, orderly stockpile tucked away in your basement. They’re small and lightweight and can be transported without much effort. They’re great if you’re in a situation where you need to grab your food and run as quickly as possible. You can also use these buckets for extra storage long after the food is gone.
When can I use these meals?
These meals are great for emergency situations like hurricanes, tornadoes, pandemics, earthquakes, etc. If the power goes out, you can enjoy hot, home-cooked meals that don’t require any refrigeration. These meals are also great for hikers, campers, backpackers, and anyone else who enjoys traveling through the Great Outdoors.
You won’t need to haul around a cooler to enjoy these meals–all you’ll have to do is throw them in a pot of water over the campfire. They’re also loaded with the vitamins and minerals that you need to get an extra boost of energy throughout your trip. If you’ve got a cabin in the woods, these meals make a great emergency food option if you ever get stuck there in bad weather.
Pros and Cons
Pros of buying Legacy food products:
- You can choose from a wide variety of meals so you won’t get stuck eating the same thing every day, even in a survival situation.
- You can buy freeze-dried meats, fruit and vegetables so you’re getting a healthy serving of vitamins and minerals.
- Their meals are easy to prepare: simply pour them in a pot of boiling water, and they’re ready to go.
- Their food is all fully cooked and can be safely eaten cold if the situation requires it.
- The food actually tastes decent and gives you a sense of normalcy and dignity.
- Their products have a shelf life of up to 25 years and don’t require any refrigeration.
- Their food comes in lightweight buckets that are stackable and easy to carry.
- Their products are sealed in airtight Mylar bags that prevents mold or bacteria from forming and spoiling the food.
- You can buy gluten-free meals for people with gluten allergies.
- Their dishes contain no meat, making them vegetarian-friendly.
- You can buy their food in bulk packages, making it easy to stock up quickly.
- They offer “sample” sizes of their food packages so you can try it out before stocking your entire basement with their products.
- They sell specialty items like powdered cheese and peanut butter, as well as honey.
- You can also buy individual ingredients like freeze-dried noodles and powdered milk.
Cons of buying Legacy food products:
- Their packaging has a generic meal picture instead of picture of the specific dish in the package, so you don’t know exactly what you’re getting until you pour it into the pot. (The packaging does list the name of the dish on the back.)
- Their meals don’t contain meat, so if you want to include meat in your survival kit you’ll have to buy it separately.
- While they do have a variety of options, their meal kits only contain four different meals, so you’ll find yourself eating the same dishes for a while.
The Bottom Line
Overall, buying Legacy food products is a worthwhile investment. If you don’t feel like chowing down on tasteless ration bars when the next big emergency hits, having a stockpile of these products in your supply makes it easier to get the vitamins and energy that your body needs. They’re affordable and simple to prepare, and you can enjoy real food that’s made from real ingredients, not some kind of processed “food product.” You can even buy individual ingredients like freeze-dried vegetables and egg powder if you want to feel like you’re cooking something.
What mainly sets their products aside from the competitors is the fact that theirs comes in lightweight, portable buckets that make storage a breeze. No more fumbling with handfuls of plastic packages–it’s all right there, in one handy kit. When you need something to eat, just open the seal, tear open a package, pour it into the boiling water, and you’ve got a meal that’ll feed your entire family. You can’t beat that kind of convenience.
One of the only drawbacks is that none of their meals contain meat. This gives their meals a longer shelf life, but if you plan to get your protein from meat, you’ll have to order their freeze-dried meat products separately. But overall, Legacy is a reputable emergency supply company with few drawbacks. Order a sample today and see what you think. If you like their food, you can start building your own emergency supply stash in your basement or shed.
A Freeze Dried Meal For Backpacking
I can live on almost anything while backpacking in the wilderness. My issue is I do not consider candy and granola bars meals. I have eaten enough mashed potatoes and instant noodles to last at least three or four lifetimes.
I usually pack something fresh to take along, but it never lasts for long. I started trying the freeze-dried meals I keep seeing because they are individually packaged. Overall, I was not impressed.
Once I discovered Mountain House Food, everything changed. The meals are amazing. Initially, I was slightly put off by the price, but once I tried them I knew the food was worth every penny.
I also discovered I could buy the cans. I simply portion everything out before I hit the trails. Somehow, I never seem to have any extra no matter how much I pack. All I can tell you is if you enjoy delicious meals, try Mountain House.
Freeze-dried meals are fast and easy. All you have to do is put a pot of water on the fire, pour the bag in and wait approximately 10 minutes. The aroma will grab your attention, but the taste will keep you coming back for more.
The Variety of Mountain House Food
I usually go hiking with a small group of friends, and all of us have different preferences. One of the best parts of Mountain House is the variety. I prefer meat, my best friend loves macaroni and cheese and my daughter is a vegetarian.
My favorite meals are lasagna with meat sauce, teriyaki chicken and spaghetti with meat sauce. When you make your purchase, you will see Pro-Paks and pouches. The Pro-Paks will not expand at higher altitudes because they are vacuum-sealed.
The pouches have more food, so what you buy depends on your appetite. I have a bigger appetite, so I always buy the pouches. The nutritional facts and calories are right on each pouch, so you know what you are getting.
I was excited when I found out three new flavors were released this year, Italian style pepper steak, chicken fried rice and biscuits and gravy. There are also new clean label items including:
• Pad Thai and chicken
• Breakfast skillet
• Yellow curry and rice with chicken
• Beef stroganoff
• Spicy Southwest breakfast hash
• Bacon and eggs
• Ice cream sandwiches with mint chocolate chip
• Chicken and rice
You need to read the instructions because every package is slightly different. I added the wrong amount of water once and ended up with a soup. I was still good, just not what I was expecting.
I use a little measuring cup I got with my cooking set, but you can also use your water bottle. Preparing the food is fast and easy. You can use a camp stove or an open fire. Open the pack, pour in your boiling water, stir, then reseal.
Make sure you take out the oxygen absorber before you add the water. Within minutes, you have a delicious hot meal. Cleanup is a snap. Fold up your pouch, then tote it out in your trash bag.
The Sensational Flavors
Biscuits and Gravy: My new favorite is biscuits and gravy. I never enjoyed eggs in the past because packing a skillet to cook powdered eggs does not work for me. This is one of the tastiest breakfasts I have ever tried.
There are fluffy pieces of buttermilk biscuits, and gravy made with pork sausage. Not only do I enjoy this meal for breakfast, but I find it makes a flavorful and filling dinner as well.
Chicken Fried Rice: The texture and flavor of this entree are excellent. You will enjoy the chicken, long-grain rice, mushrooms, red peppers, onions, carrots, peas and scrambled eggs. My best friend declared this one her favorite.
Italian Style Pepper Steak: This pouch included pepper steak, long-grain rice, yellow, green and red peppers, tomatoes and onions. The steak was surprisingly tender for a freeze-dried meal. I like to add hot sauce for any extra burst of flavor.
Breakfast Skillet: The breakfast skillet is ideal for a burst of energy in the morning. The mixture of sausage, eggs, vegetables and eggs was perfect. The flavor is sensational.
Classic Flavors: I really like the Mountain House classics. Some of our favorites include:
• Beef stroganoff
• Pasta primavera
• Chicken and rice
• Beef stew
I am the type of person that enjoys a nice light dessert at the end of the day. Mountain House did not let me down with a good variety including:
• Apple crisp
• Neopolitan ice cream
• Ice cream sandwiches
Since I do have a larger appetite, I found a way to decrease my cost. I purchase all of my meals in bulk. There is a meal bucket that includes 12 meals. Not only do I save money, but I get to enjoy my favorite meals.
Mexican-Style Chicken and Rice: This is my go-to meal when I am really hungry. The aroma is delightful, and I can smell the chicken, olives and beans while my dinner is cooking. The sauce is tangy, and the chicken nice and tender.
Apple Crisp: When I was a kid, my mom made apple crisp for dessert every Sunday. No, this is not the same as homemade, but I was surprised because it is close. The aroma reminded me of my mom’s version when it first came out of the oven.
Although it is good by itself, I like putting ice cream on top. The apples, brown sugar and granola mix beautifully, and I can smell it for hours after I am done eating. If you enjoy dessert as much as I do, this one is a must-try.
Lasagna with Meat Sauce: I tried this one because I love lasagna. I did not really expect it to be good. Once again I was surprised. I have ordered lasagna in restaurants that were not as good as this dish.
I have no idea how this meal came so close to the taste and texture of homemade, but it did. The chunks of pasta are tasty and very tender. Be careful how much water you use because this was the dish I turned into soup.
The flavors of beef, tomato and cheese are perfectly balanced for a taste everyone but the vegetarian loves.
Fire Roasted Vegetables: Even though I love meat, I really enjoy this dish every once in a while. I like adding tomato soup to the vegetables to appease my appetite. My vegetarian friend declared this one a winner.
He said he is usually disappointed in the taste of freeze-dried vegetables, but that this one actually had flavor. He enjoys this entree at least three or four times every time we god hiking.
Chicken a la King and Noodles: This dish made my top five. The flavor is incredible, with just the right balance of heartiness and taste. This is not one of the best looking meals, but the taste more than makes up for the appearance.
You would think by now I would be used to tender meat, yet I am surprised almost every time. Each bag has three servings, so you do not want to make it for just yourself. Even I am unable to eat that much.
Once I went hiking with just my best friend. We figured after all the exercise we could finish this dish easily. The bad news is we were wrong. The good news is tasted just as good for breakfast the next morning.
The History of Mountain House
Mountain House originated as Oregon Freeze Dry during the 1960s. The company provided dehydrated fruit for kid’s cereals. It was not until they started working with the Department of Defense that freeze-dried meals were developed.
The company wanted to provide soldiers with something tasting better than the standard dehydrated foods. The meals were ideal because the preparation was so easy. There were entrees for breakfast lunch and dinner available.
The company now offers desserts and sides, vegetarian dishes, low sodium meals and gluten-free entree. There are a wide range of sizes and flavors for every diet and appetite. The meals are filling and easy to make.
I like packing freeze-dried foods because they do not weigh down my pack. The nutritional value, color, aroma and flavors are on point. The size of the packs enables me to save valuable space.
I enjoy the zip lock because there have been times I was too tired to eat much, Saving the leftovers is easy, and because of the seal I do not end up with any unexpected and unwanted wildlife in my camp.
Do not forget to take out the oxygen absorber before rehydrating your meal. I have forgotten a few times, but as long as you do not eat it you are still okay. The cans have a shelf life of 25 years, and the pouches are good for 10 years.
The shelf life of the ice cream is only two years, but they never last for more than a few months. I have a terrible sweet tooth. You need to store your packs in a dry, cool area. You also have a choice of sizes.
The Pro-Pak is a vacuum-sealed pouch with a smaller meal of two cups. The standard size provides you with two and one-half cups, and you get five cups with the family size. The latter includes two pouches you can split for separate meals.
Preparing Your Meals
Every package has easy to follow instructions on the back. You add your boiling water to the package, let sit for approximately 10 minutes, then enjoy. The amount of water required is different for each meal.
The vegetables need one cup of water, the standard size two, and the Pro-Pak one and one-half. If you have to use cold water, you can. You will need to wait twice as long for your meal to rehydrate, but the taste is still good.
Remember your food is heating with boiled water in the package. For this reason, I recommend holding the package from the very top or the bottom.
Pros and Cons:
• Wide diversity of meals, desserts, snacks and options
• All orders a minimum of $99 receive free shipping
• Packaging is resealable
• Easily prepared by adding boiling water
• Grams per serving and nutritional information are on the package
• Good selection of specialty signature entrees
• Shelf life guaranteed according to each meal
• The pricing is reasonable
• Most meals do not contain nuts
• Easy to pack and lightweight
• Excellent flavor and texture
• Shelf life taste guarantee for 30 years
• Only ships to the United States
• Care must be taken when preparing due to the boiled water in the package
• Strict return policy
The Bottom Line For Mountain House Foods
Mountain House offers lightweight, freeze-dried meals that are both delicious and convenient at a reasonable price. The meals are ideal for backpacking, hiking or just spending time in the wilderness.
The nutritional value, color, flavor and aroma are excellent. The packaging does not take up a lot of room in your pack, and you can easily store any leftovers using the zip lock. You can choose different packages and options depending on your appetite.
The shelf life of the products is fantastic. As long as you store the products in a dry, cool area, they can be enjoyed for many years to come. If you live in an area where natural disasters are fairly common, these meals are superb options.
The variety of dishes is wonderful. If you have specific dietary requirements such as low sodium, or prefer to eat vegetarian, you will not be disappointed. The meats are tender, the vegetables taste fresh, and the desserts are delicious.
I like the fact the company is always coming out with new dishes and flavors because having something new to enjoy is always a bonus. You will not have any difficulties preparing your meals. The directions are simple and one every package.
I recommend Mountain House for anyone spending time in the outdoors. You will never run out of tasty options for your meals.